After a house and a car, buying furniture is one of the largest purchases that most people will ever make. If you have bought contemporary Italian furniture for your home, you want to find ways to keep it looking the way it did the day you bought it home. The good news is that most Italian high end furniture is made of leather, which is an easy material to care for and keep looking great throughout the years. Here are some great tips and tricks to keeping your Italian leather furniture looking great for many years.
- The sun is not your leather furniture’s friend. When you go out in the sun, you should wear sunscreen because the sun can be very damaging to your skin. The same principle applies when it comes to contemporary Italian furniture. No matter where your leather furniture was made, the sun can do a lot of damage to those pieces. As a consequence, you should be careful about where you place your contemporary leather furniture in your home. Make sure you put it in areas where it will not be subjected to direct sunlight. Not only will the sun dry out the leather but it can bleach the color out of it. Your furniture will last a lot longer and will stay comfortable if you keep it out of the path of direct sunlight.
- Your vacuum cleaner is your leather furniture’s friend. While you will want to keep it out of the path of the sun, using a vacuum on your contemporary Italian leather sofas and chairs can work wonders to get rid of dirt, dust and other grime that can shorten the life of your furniture. The vacuum is not great for all fabrics but leather is durable and strong enough to stand up to the power of even the strongest vacuum cleaner. Dirt, dust and grime have a way of working themselves into the grooves of your furniture. A good vacuum can do a lot to help you get rid of all of that.
- Steer clear of water. Water is a great substance to clean a wide number of things in your home. Your contemporary Italian Furniture is not one of those items. Leather and water do not play well together. One of the worst things you can do to your Italian leather furniture, after exposing it to direct sunlight, is to use water to clean it. Should any water (or any liquid) get spilled on the furniture, it is important to wipe it up as soon as possible.
- You can use a damp cloth. While the last thing you want to do is dump a bunch of water on your leather furniture, if you have a small mark or stain, you can take a damp cloth and use that to clean the spot on the leather furniture. It is important to make sure that the cloth that you use is only damp and not soaking wet. Using a cloth that is too wet can cause a bigger problem than the one you are trying to get rid of.
- You do not need varnish. A lot of people who have pieces of fine leather furniture in their home think that one good idea to keep it looking shiny and new is to use varnish. Varnish can do a lot of damage to contemporary Italian furniture. Again, most fine leather furniture can be damaged by anything that makes it wet. If you use varnish, more often than not, you will end up with a mark that cannot be removed.
- Talk to your leather store about good conditioning products. Once every six to 12 months, it can be a good idea to use a leather conditioner on your fine leather furniture. There are some great products that can be used on your leather furniture that will keep it in great shape for a lot longer if they are used correctly. You can get these online or from the store where you purchased your contemporary Italian furniture.
With the right care and feeding, your fine leather furniture can last and look great for a long, long time.