From a distance, they look like thick, low posts. Up close, however, a stainless steel LED bollard serves as an illuminated guide for pedestrians walking through a park, as well as provide a sense of security on a college campus. In fact, stainless steel LED bollards are used across a variety of industries for a number of purposes. As the lighting industry continues to create more and more products to meet a growing number of needs, it should come as no surprise that they play an important part in the nation’s economy.
From the high intensity illumination that is needed in large public spaces like parking lots to replacement lamps for office buildings, there are a number of lighting products that provide a sense of security and offer the necessary illumination to keep an area productive.
High Powered LED Lighting Serves a Number of Purposes in a Number of Settings
Installing the right lighting fixtures can help improve the function of any space. From a home office to a kitchen to an entire open office space, every space where we live and work requires illumination. And while there are some spaces that are fortunate enough to have lots of windows and natural light, this is the time of the year when the hours of daylight are shorter and fail to offer the task and security lighting that most places need. With the specific installation of well thought out lighting fixtures, however, any space can function, literally, in its best light.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the lighting industry and the role that it plays in the lives that we lead and the security and comfort that we feel:
- Lighting accounts for nearly 18% energy use in commercial buildings and 11% in residential buildings.
- 22% of all electricity generated in the U.S. is used for lighting, according to Department of Energy statistics.
- The life expectancy of an LED tube is roughly 50,000 hours.
- The average life expectancy of a fluorescent bulb and ballast is about 20,000 hours.
- The law requires parking garage lighting in many areas to be on 24 hours a day.
- In addition to providing up to 85% more light output, LEDs use only 15% of the energy a standard halogen light uses.
From the night driving that we do in our cars to the long hours we spend at the office, how safe and productive we are often depend on the lighting that is in a space.